Catwoman


Catwoman

Catwoman is a fictional character associated with DC Comics' Batman franchise. Historically an antihero, the character was created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane, partially inspired by Kane's cousin, Ruth Steel. Kane, a frequent movie goer, also mentioned that Jean Harlow was a model for the design.

The original and most widely known Catwoman, Selina Kyle, first appears in Batman #1 (Spring 1940) in which she is known as The Cat. She is an adversary of Batman, known for having a complex love-hate (often romantic) relationship with him. In her first appearance, she was a whip-carrying burglar with a taste for high-stake thefts. For many years Catwoman thrived, but from September 1954 to November 1966 she took an extended hiatus due to the newly developing Comics Code Authority in 1954. These issues involved the rules regarding the development and portrayal of female characters that were in violation of the Comics Code.

Since the 1990s, Catwoman has been featured in an eponymous series that cast her as an antihero rather than a supervillain. The character has been one of Batman's most enduring love interests and has been described as Batman's one true love. Many modern writers have also interpreted her activities and costumed identity as a response to a history of abuse.

A popular figure, Catwoman has been featured in most media adaptations related to Batman. Actresses Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, and Eartha Kitt introduced her to a large audience on the 1960s Batman television series and the 1966 Batman motion picture. Michelle Pfeiffer portrayed the character in 1992's Batman Returns. Halle Berry starred in a stand-alone Catwoman film in 2004, which was a box-office flop, and was not based on the Batman character. Anne Hathaway portrays Selina Kyle in Christopher Nolan's 2012 Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises.

Catwoman was ranked #11 on IGN's "Top 100 Comic Book Villains of All Time" list, ranked #51 on Wizard magazine's "100 Greatest Villains of All Time" list and #20 on IGN's "Top 100 Comic Book Heroes". She was ranked 23rd in Comics Buyer's Guide's "100 Sexiest Women in Comics" list.


Quotes·Quotation by Catwoman

Halle Berry as Catwoman from Catwoman (2004)

¶ Cats come when they feel like it. Not when they're told.

¶ It all started on the day that I died. If there had been an obituary, it would have described the unremarkable life of an unremarkable woman, survived by no one. But there was no obituary, because the day that I died was also the day I started to live. But that comes later. This was my life. Days blended together, consistently ordinary, thanks to a job that was the practical version of my passion. I was supposed to be an artist by now. Instead, I was designing ads for beauty cream. [first lines]

¶ The day I died was the day I started to live. In my old life, I longed for someone to see what was special in me. You did, and for that, you'll always be in my heart. But what I really needed was for me to see it. And now I do. You're a good man, Tom. But you live in a world that has no place for someone like me. You see, sometimes I'm good. Oh, I'm very good. But sometimes I'm bad. But only as bad as I wanna be. Freedom is power. To live a life untamed and unafraid is the gift that I've been given, and so my journey begins. [last lines]

Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle / Catwoman from The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Catwoman: You don't owe these people any more! You've given them everything!
Batman: Not everything. Not yet.

¶ [a couple thugs go to attack Lucius while he's handcuffed. Catwoman intervenes and beats them down]
Lucius Fox: [to Batman] I like your new girlfriend!
Catwoman: [she undoes his cuffs] He should be so lucky.

¶ Stryver: Do those heels make it hard to walk?
[Catwoman kicks Stryver from behind]
Catwoman: I don't know, do they?


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catwoman

No comments:

Post a Comment